Monday, September 5, 2011

Today's Study - A Nesting Hummingbird

I finished today's oil study, photographed it and was ready to post it when I realized I'd made a major mistake.  I'd painted a male broad-tailed hummingbird on the nest.  Oops.  That just doesn't happen as the male hummingbird leaves the incubating to the female.

I've lived in my house in Northern Arizona for 34 years where I see dozens of hummingbirds at my feeders, representing five different species.  For most of the years I've lived here, I've been looking for a hummingbird nest.  When my son was a kid we found one on an apple tree...but when we checked it again a few days later, it had been destroyed.  Perhaps by another bird - a jay or a crow?
Now my house is on the market and wouldn't you know it - this summer, there are three hummingbird nests within 100 feet of my house. 



186 - Nesting Hummingbird
5" x 7" oil study on board, unframed
$75 plus $6 shipping within the U.S.

SOLD



No comments:

Post a Comment