Thursday, January 26, 2012

Two Commissions


I've just finished this 10" x 8" oil of a finch for a client.  It's been sitting in the studio half-finished for a month or more while I decided what it needed.   My paintings always work out better if I don't rush them.  Once the piece is about 80% finished,  I lean it against the wall in the studio for a couple of days.  Sometimes I know within a day or two what needs to be done to finish it - other times it will take a month or more as with this piece.




This second commission is a 12" x 16" of black-billed magpies, and is at the lean-it-against-the-wall stage.  When a painting is at this stage, I also photograph so it can flip it horizontally in Photoshop...the equivalent of looking at it in the mirror.  If I like the flipped or mirror image - I know it is working.

This is my third attempt at this painting.  I've discovered that magpies aren't easy birds to work into a composition because of the long tail and the dramatic black and white markings but I'm happy with this composition.   Once the brush and birds are tweaked a little, it will be finished.

I'm hoping to do a little 75 for $75 study before the end of the day.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Birds are my passion! But I can paint them only using lines and they come out very asbtract. But the style I use is often too abstract anyway))

    ReplyDelete

Bobcat

 These are the last two pieces for 'Square Off', the painting project I've been doing with my son,  Shane Rebenschied,  for the ...