Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A painting in progress

I've been working on taking some of my better ideas from small 7" x 7" paintings and doing 20" x 20"s in a similar way.  It's been a struggle to keep the larger ones as simple as the small studies.  I've done three - though not all finished yet....and I'm happy with the way they are progressing.

My landscapes often have a bird somewhere in the image - not always conspicuous. I let the painting dry before adding the bird...and often I don't know which bird species I'll use or how many.  Once the painting is dry, I sketch in (with a paintbrush)the bird shapes.  If I don't like size or placement, I wipe them off and try again.

When this painting is dry,  I plan to paint in a distant flock of flying white ibis moving diagonally from left to right - a few over the distant dark trees, one or two crossing over from the brown marsh to the distant trees and a few over the brown marsh.  I"ll use the white line of birds to unite the marsh with the distant trees.


Untitled & Unfinished
20" x 20" oil on linen


1 comment:

  1. I especially like the foreground, and the birds will really pop the rest. I want to see it when it is done!

    ReplyDelete

November

 "November" is the 11th piece in the Square Off project I'm doing with my son,  Shane Rebenschied.   All the original oils tha...