Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Work in Progress

 This large oil (24" x 48") is heading for the Southeastern Wildlife Expo (SEWE) in mid-February. It's not finished yet - very much a work in progress. I'll probably add three flying egret, flying from left to right. They'll be small, as it is the landscape I'm talking about, not the birds. The oil is inspired by the landscape at Ace Basin, about an hour south of Charleston - though it could be anywhere. I've been painting small studies of this landscape for years. This is my first attempt to paint a really BIG piece based on small studies

I may call the painting 'Counterpane' from a song I learned years ago in New Zealand. I've googled the words and find no record of it online.

Day has passed in crimson splendour
night has come with noiseless tread
and upon the darkening landscape
soft her counterpane has spread.


No comments:

Post a Comment