Saturday, May 28, 2011

Posting Tomorrow's Painting Today - Great Horned Owl






Just in case I don't have time to get a piece done tomorrow, I've painted it today and thought a few of you might also be interested in my step-by-step process.  As you can see,  I don't do a preliminary drawing.  I just 'knock it in' with a #2 flat (Silver Bristlon is my favorite brush).  Then I work fairly traditionally - dark to light. Almost forgot to mention the most important part....I paint with the panel sideways or upside down - seldom do I work with the painting right-side-up.  When the image is upside down,  rather than seeing an owl I see shapes and design. 

I've done similar backgrounds in the 75 for $75 project - the Red-tailed Hawk and the Barn Owl...but in both of these studies I softened the background with a small watercolor mop brush. I intended to do the same with the Great Horned Owl background but I sort of liked the hard edges where one color transitions into another - so I left it as is.  Hope you like it! 


Great Horned Owl
7" x 5" oil study on board, unframed
$75 plus $6 shipping within the U.S

SOLD




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and love seeing your process! It's hard for me not to do a preliminary painting. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the progress of this painting! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

November

 "November" is the 11th piece in the Square Off project I'm doing with my son,  Shane Rebenschied.   All the original oils tha...