Saturday, November 26, 2011

Today's Oil Study - Vultures! (but I'm keeping it)

This little vulture painting demonstrates exactly why I do these little oil studies.  I wouldn't have done a larger painting of vultures...afraid it would never sell.  But it doesn't matter if a study doesn't sell because I don't have much time invested in these little guys (a half-hour in this one).  Also, for this piece, I experimented using a pre-painted/dry board - an old 75/75 that didn't work.  I liked the background color so I saved the board and used it for this piece.  I've worked on boards that have been stained a color but never on thicker paint that is completely dry.  I usually work completely alla prima.  It was fun working on dry paint, allowing a little bit of the under painting to show through.  (the gray in the bottom right hand corner). For the background texture, I used thick paint on a large brush and dragged the brush edge over the board.  I also put the subject matter smack-dab in the middle of the board.  Why not!  It's only a study.  But I think in this case, it works because the eye goes to the large wing rather than to the center of the vulture group.

So this is why I do these little studies....I can be brave and boldly go where I've never been before. If it doesn't work, I can always turp it out.  If it does work, then I've got information I can use on larger, studio oils. 

I like this vulture study and am wondering if it will work as a larger piece, but perhaps it will lose the spontaneity if larger.  So for the moment, I'm not going to sell it.  With a tweak or two, it could be one of my two entries into Birds in Art 2012. 


203 - Vultures
5" x 7" oil study on board
Not for sale at this time

2 comments:

  1. This one has a really nice abstract feeling to it, Adele. I'd keep it as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your work. I like the randomness a painting that, "did not worK" (your words) can be as underpainting.

    ReplyDelete

Bobcat

 These are the last two pieces for 'Square Off', the painting project I've been doing with my son,  Shane Rebenschied,  for the ...