Monday, June 13, 2011

An Egret for Today

I like painting egret but I probably turp out as many as I paint.  There's something about the beak and location of the eye that is hard to get just right.  I wasn't sure about this study - the colors felt too warm.  I photographed it and looked at it in Photoshop....flipping it horizontally, which gives me a different perspective (same as looking at your painting in the mirror)  and decided I really like it! 

The entire reason for my 75 for $75 project is to loosen up and get bolder with my brush strokes.  Generally I use Silver Bristlon #4 flat for the backgrounds on these studies...but the other day I bought a Connoisseur #4  flat (#265).  It's a much softer brush which works well for softer parts of the painting but it's difficult to get bold brushstrokes with it.  I tried painting the background on this egret study using the Connoisseur and ended up having to forget 'bold' and go for 'soft'.  I softened the background even more with a watercolor mop brush.  I know I sound like a broken record, but I have learned so much from this project! 


Egret #2
5" x 7" oil study on board, unframed
$75 plus $6 shipping within the U.S.

SOLD

2 comments: