Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Quiet Woods

When I first started painting, the first art book I bought was an old classic, The Artistic Anatomy of Trees.  Long before I became an artist, I've been intrigued with what I call the 'grace' of trees.....the beautiful lines of limbs and trunks.  IMHO, nothing will kill a painting faster than stick trees - stiff, straight limbs that make me wonder if the artist has ever really looked at a tree?  This 9 x 12 oil is my continued attempt to paint limbs and trunks that have a graceful anatomy.


Quiet Woods
12" x 9" oil on Ampersand gesso board

I am writing this in the Phoenix Airport, waiting for a flight for LAX - then on to New Zealand, where I'm teaching a painting holiday in the part of the country where I grew up.  Afterwards, I'll be painting daily for a new project called, 60/60 Painting Challenge.  I challenged 26 other artists on Facebook to join me in this daily painting-from-life project.  I'll be painting landscapes plein air - hopefully learning a little more about the artistic anatomy of some of New Zealand's beautiful native trees.  I'll be posting the pieces here daily starting March 6, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting, Adele. I love the grace of trees, too.
    Look forward to hearing from NZ.

    ReplyDelete

Bobcat

 These are the last two pieces for 'Square Off', the painting project I've been doing with my son,  Shane Rebenschied,  for the ...