Monday, May 16, 2011

My Birds in Art entry

If you're not familiar with Birds in Art, it's (IMHO) the best exhibition of bird art in the world, showing the work of artists from the U.S. and many other countries. The Leigh Yawkey Woodson Museum has hosted this annual event since 1976.  I and the many artists who paint the natural world, are honored when one of our pieces is selected for the annual exhibition. And I love that it doesn't matter who you are in the world of bird art.  Often the works of famous artists are rejected and there are often many unknowns in the annual exhibit.  My Birds in Art catalogues have been packed away so I can't count the number of years I've been accepted - but I think this might be my 17th year. 

I entered two pieces this year;  Turangawaewae, a 40" x 32" of the New Zealand bush with Piwakawaka (fantail) and Flamingo Study, a 9.75" x 8" oil of flamingos, dashed off the day the entries were due.  I thought Turangawaewae stood the best chance of getting in but to my surprise, the little flamingo study was accepted.  But thinking about it, it makes sense.  Birds in Art is always full of surprises with art in all forms -  highly rendered photo-realistic,  impressionistic, field sketches and even my quick little study.  Once again, I am honored. 


"Flamingo Study"
9.75" x 8" oil on board

SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment