Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Today's Oil Study - Another Hummingbird!

I've had a lot of requests for hummingbirds so I just finished this little oil study of one that could be either a broad-tailed hummer (Western US) or a ruby-throated (Eastern US) as the species are similar and I don't paint enough detail to show the differences.

I must remember to photograph a study before I soften the background, as I have in this piece.  I soften the background if the brushwork feels too busy or sometimes just for a change. It would have been interesting to show you the difference with the brush strokes showing compared to the finished piece.  Next time!


Hummingbird
5" x 7" oil study on board, unframed
$75 plus $6 shipping

SOLD




1 comment:

  1. Love the light and atmoshphere; also the color. I can just hear his wings beating! I'm buying it!
    NJ Darling

    ReplyDelete