Tuesday, May 24, 2011

An Oriole for Today

My oil study for today is an oriole - technically a Hooded Oriole, but with a little stretch it could be an Altamira Oriole. When I see Hooded Orioles in my garden I know spring is officially here.  As I write this I can hear one fussing outside my studio window.

The study felt a little drab until I added the purple - but the purple is slightly exaggerated in the photo compared to the original.   As purple is yellow's complement, it made the painting pop.  A cheap trick but it works. 


Hooded Oriole
7" x 5" oil on board, unframed
$75 plus $6 shipping within the U.S.

SOLD


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful painting! I'm such a birder I can't help but enjoy this little guy!

    ReplyDelete

Bobcat

 These are the last two pieces for 'Square Off', the painting project I've been doing with my son,  Shane Rebenschied,  for the ...