Monday, November 21, 2011

Today's Study for Yesterday!

This is the oil study for yesterday.  As soon as I post another study for today, I'll be caught up with my goal to post at least one piece a day between November 15 and December 31st.

This 7" x 5" oil is of a Hairy Woodpecker. I see them on my apple trees in the winter along with the Downy (similar to the Hairy, but smaller), the occasional Northern Flicker and the Red-naped Sapsucker.  Years ago, I photographed a Red-Breasted Sapsucker on my apple tree, here in Northern Arizona.  As this bird is only found in the very western part of the west coast, certainly not in Arizona, I sent the photograph to Audubon.  It was published as a 'rare and unusual sighting' in the American Bird magazine.  Sadly, the next winter, I found it dead on my deck.


197 - Hairy Woodpecker
7" x 5" oil study on board, unframed
$75 plus $6 shipping within the U.S. 

SOLD
       

No comments:

Post a Comment