Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Process of Painting

I'm often asked how I go about painting an animal or landscape. I thought you might be interested in seeing the process for One Mile to Go, a landscape that I posted a couple of days ago.

In 1997 I painted a little plein air oil on location in Bear Island at Ace Basin, a wildlife refuge about an hour south of Charleston, South Carolina.  Working from several photos of the area and using the plein air sketch, I came up with the finished painting.  So yes, I do work from photographic reference - but no, I don't 'copy' a photograph.  From both photo and plein air painting I took the idea of the shadows across the road and the dark trees with 'sky holes' and incorporated them into One Mile to Go.


The Road to Bear Island
6" x 4" painted on location in 1997



Reference photo



One Mile to Go
finished studio painting, 18" x 18"

2 comments:

  1. photo, plein air, and a lot of imagination and experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your paintings are so lovely and atmospheric .....x

    ReplyDelete

Pink

This is the ninth piece in 'Square Off', the painting project I'm doing with my son,  Shane Rebenschied . Three more to go!  I p...